The art of knowing when to stop a debate

12:41 a.m.



Tonight, I've learned something very important. That lesson is knowing when to stop a debate, specifically when the said debate turns into an angry argument... with a family member.

Tonight, was the night when the opponent in front of me was no longer a family member but a muleta and I was the bull that went wild. 
It was the night where I threw my values out the window and became merciless. My only goal was to shutdown my adversary, because that said person was wrong and I was right. 
It was the night where I had all the facts, I knew it all! How could I possibly not know it all?
It was the night where dropping f-bombs would get my point across. 
And it was also the night where if my tone wasn't loud enough, it meant that I wasn't winning, because, at last, all it was to me was a competition and who wants to lose?
Well tonight, I should have declared forfeit. I should have backed down.
But I didn't.
"Why should have I?", would my ego be tempted to ask.
"I fight against ignorance", will the answer be. I can't and will not tolerate any discriminatory remarks. It's bigger than me. It's in my nature.

However, when there is a blantant divergence between opinions, it is important that the discussion stays constructive and under control. If not, it's best to let go.
As well, it is a task for which both parties have to be willing to take responsibility for. As self control is an essential part of a successful debate. 
But unfortunately, as hard as it is to not "fight" for your beliefs, it is, often times, smarter to decline the tempting invitations to some battles. 

The lesson here is to know when to choose your fights... some of them are not worth the effort and that's what discernment is all about.
Truth is, family members are a danger zone when it comes to discussing political topics and personal beliefs. Therefore, when conflict arises, it's your cue to step down. Getting carried away is not productive and is also never the route to take.
Nonetheless, if things were to get to a point of no return because of a certain inability to discuss respectfully, an apology is recquired.

As for myself, I had to apologize after my aunt told me word for word that Islam is a faith which promotes the killing of people, all because I got carried away.
Needless to say, her statement is definitely untrue and I strongly disagree with her, but unfortunately, as crazy as it may sound, it was a discussion that I should not have pursued. 
A fight that I shouldn't have fought.

You Might Also Like

2 commentaires

  1. This is a great post. I naturally avoid conflicts but I have been in debates with others who wouldn't let go. It is important to know when to agree to disagree. x

    RépondreEffacer
    Réponses
    1. Glad that we are on the same page. By the way,thanks for reading!

      Effacer

Popular Posts

Facebook